You are currently viewing Glossary


Window and Door Terms Glossary


The process of using an electrochemical process to convert the metal surface into a decorative finish.

Argon Glass

Space in the window are filled with argon gas to slow the transfer of heat through the window.

Awning Window

A sash that is hung from the upper edge and open outwards

Bifold window/door

A series of two or more hinged panels that fold and slide


A unit with hinged sash that opens to the side which allows top to bottom ventilation


Water that collects as small droplets on the glass/sash/panel interior or exterior under certain conditions (typically cold surfaces when exposed to humidity)

Double Glazing

These are windowpanes consisting of two layers of glass with a space in between them. This is designed to minimise noise and heat loss

Equal Lite

Window or door with equal spaced bars

Float Glass

Glass that has been manufactured by floating the molten glass onto a bed of molten tin, where it is left to cool and solidify. The result is a very smooth pane of uniform thickness.


The members of the aluminium window frame are commonly called the head (top), jambes (sides) and sill (bottom). The frame may or may not include integral reveals.

French Door

Hinge Door(s) with large glass area surrounded by aluminium stiles and rails


Glass in a window sash or door panel; the act of installing glass in a window sash or door panel.

Head Flashing

A flashing installed under the cladding but over the top of a window, designed to deflect water away from the area.


The main vertical parts forming the sides of window frame.

Laminated Glass

Layered glass that resists breakage and holds together when broken. Check out the different types of glass here.


An individual pane of glass installed in a frame. Also spelt 'lite'.


The vertical or horizontal joint between individual window or door units that form a combination

Obscure Glass

Glass with a texture of pattern of various degrees of opacity that limits visibility through a window or door


A single assembly of stiles and rails made into a frame for holding glass


Using narrow-shaped windows fitted next to an entrance door. These windows do not typically open, bu they do let in a lot of natural light into the entrance hallways.


A ledge-like shelf at the bottom of a window, either inside or outside of the building, that creates an overhang and drip to protect your property from the weather.

In need of some colour inspiration?

Leave a Reply